Converting WordPress to become BuddyPress
Want to start your own mini Facebook-like website? WordPress can easily do that. I’m assuming that you have a fairly good knowledge of WordPress and have a site running in WordPress.
BuddyPress is not another CMS system. It’s actually a plugin that converts the standard installation of WordPress to become more social.
BuddyPress is for bringing people together. It enables people from all over the world that have similar interests to connect and communicate.
Some of the uses might be (limited only by your imagination):
- A focussed social network for your company or product.
- A social network for your university, school or college.
- An internal communication tool for your organisation or company.
Requirements to run BuddyPress
Before you start running the BuddyPress plugins, you’ll need a couple of things:
In other words, if your host can run WordPress, it shouldn’t be a problem.
Let’s do it
- Go to your “Plugins ? Add New” menu and automatically install BuddyPress.
- Activate the plugin and use the bundled theme, or any other BuddyPress compatible WordPress theme.
That’s it. Did you expect some earth-shaking installation? It’s as simple as activating the plugin and using a BuddyPress compatible theme.
And this is how it looks:
Have fun with it. The various components can easily be switched on or off just by a click of the button.
For further help on BuddyPress or plugins you can go here: