I’m currently doing this project. It’s about creating a website using Gatsby and React.
You can check it out here: Demo Website. It is still a work in progress.
What is Gatsby? No it’s not the novel, The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald or the movie starring Leonardo DiCaprio.
Gatsby is a Static Site Generator. The key points are:
- The pages are compiled at built-time before deployment.
- Sites and pages are made using React components.
- The static pages are then deployed to the web.
- It combines the advantage of a static website (SEO friendly) and single page applications (speed and ease of updates). The site behaves more like single page application.
- Can use different data sources (WordPress, Shopify, Firebase…) and unify it into GraphQL layer.
By using this technology, I can convert static websites to be more SEO friendly, fast and easier to update for the site owners.